Sihuadon D-808 for Xmas

Use this forum to discuss any radio-related topic outside of asking for advice (check out our Questions and Advice forum for those topics). As with all of our forums, treat others with kindness and respect.
N3BE

Sihuadon D-808 for Xmas

Post by N3BE »

Good Morning fellow DX'ers.
I just snagged a Sihuadon D-808 at Amazon for just under $44.00 US.
There is a $9.00 discount coupon making this price happen.
If you were considering this little gem, now might be the time.
Of course my XYL says I can't open it 'till the 26th. (Tradition)
Happy Holidays and best DX to all, N3BE
listening since '62.
N3BE

Re: Sihuadon D-808 for Xmas

Post by N3BE »

Sorry team, I typo'ed the model, not *808* but "108 ", 73 John N3BE
listening since '62.
k4pkm

Post by k4pkm »

Thanks for the heads-up!! Let us know how you like it when the 26th comes!
N3BE

Post by N3BE »

OK January 6th 2023 and it’s been a long and interesting holiday Journey.

So as I described the 108/808 to my XYL approaching Xmas gift time, she decided I should cancel the $42 dollar 108 order and get myself the 808. Now the 808 thru Amazon land was just upward of $120, but what the hell she is a great XYL. When it arrived from vendor RadioWow US, I checked it was working and put it back in the box and patiently awaited Xmas.

Then on the magic eve opening gifts there was an 808 for me not from my XYL but from a daughter. And by Monday 12/26 I am processing the return of the RadioWow 808. I had to pay for shipping and the return has devolved into an Amazon A to Z coverage case, so RadioWow is on my list of never again vendors.

Back to the 808 that was here, in the following days I was pretty impressed with the unit especially at the price point. With more than a couple of dozen portables to compare it to here and a dozen or so antennas it was fun. It held its own right through the ICF2010 I purchased new in 84 from the SONY employee store in NJ. Then it was time for the portable benchmark -- the ICF 7600GR --. Now the 7600GR is a formidable radio, besting even the 2010 including the SYNC function, but it is an ergonomic disaster, and so in summary is the 808, formidable receiver even up with the 2010/7600GR but with ergonomics I didn't like, especially surrounding SSB use, and its memory system.

So on one of the late night comparison runs, while researching randomly, one of my ham radio store sites pops a box from the certified Amazon warehouse: Eton Elite Executive for $62 in very good condition re-boxed,, I have both the Mini and Grundig Traveler III, nice radios but nothing to write home about. But for $62 and free returns I ordered it and awaited its arrival. It shipped out of Kent WA, and arrived last night. Factory box wax crumpled and beat, but inside was a perfectly untouched Elite Executive. Only got to bedstand a couple of minutes FM while hooked to the outside porch MLA-30+ and I was impressed, could have been band conditions, so more to come on that radio as the days roll on.

Happy 2023 happy listening and best DX to all, N3BE
listening since '62.