The SULA antenna

Use this forum to discuss any radio-related topic outside of asking for advice (check out our Questions and Advice forum for those topics). As with all of our forums, treat others with kindness and respect.
JohnGreen-SWL

Re: The SULA antenna

Post by JohnGreen-SWL »

Posted SULA outdoor front to back test using only feed line mod and 3m PVC mast in YouTube channel John Green-SWL
I will try preamp in place of balun tomorrow
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

JohnGreen-SWL wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:15 pm Posted SULA outdoor front to back test using only feed line mod and 3m PVC mast in YouTube channel John Green-SWL
I will try preamp in place of balun tomorrow
checked them, interesting, thank you !!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... HKGglurXKi
JohnGreen-SWL

Post by JohnGreen-SWL »

Posted on YouTube SULA test indoors with preamp in place of 9:1 balun
Andrew (grayhat)

JohnGreen-SWL wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:35 pm Posted on YouTube SULA test indoors with preamp in place of 9:1 balun
well... sounds like it's working, although my wild guess is that the MLA-30 preamp is somewhat acting, at any rate your arrangement seems to be working, and while the F/B isn't as impressive, the SULA seems to be doing its duty, all in all the idea is to have a quite forgiving design (amongst other features)
13dka

Post by 13dka »

JohnGreen-SWL wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:35 pm Posted on YouTube SULA test indoors with preamp in place of 9:1 balun
I tried that with a ML-200 (NTi/Bonito) preamp and the results were not good, the pattern disappeared and even reversed on some SW bands. The antenna really needs the balun to work.
Andrew (grayhat)

13dka wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:14 pm
I tried that with a ML-200 (NTi/Bonito) preamp and the results were not good, the pattern disappeared and even reversed on some SW bands. The antenna really needs the balun to work.
agreed, and a preamp with a coax input connector
JohnGreen-SWL

Post by JohnGreen-SWL »

Spotted this preamp on a local website
Is it suitable for the SULA

https://www.giga.co.za/ocart/index.php? ... uct_id=219
Andrew (grayhat)

JohnGreen-SWL wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:43 pm Spotted this preamp on a local website
Is it suitable for the SULA

https://www.giga.co.za/ocart/index.php? ... uct_id=219
yes, but only if one isn't interested in MW since that preamp lower freq is 1MHz, also notice that it doesn't have an embedded bias-t circuit to power it over coax, so it will either need a battery or separate bias-t units
JohnGreen-SWL

Post by JohnGreen-SWL »

Thanks Andrew I have my own Amplified Magnetic Loop which works very well on MW and its powered by a 12v battery so I can use it to power the SULA preamp
Andrew (grayhat)

JohnGreen-SWL wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:39 pm Thanks Andrew I have my own Amplified Magnetic Loop which works very well on MW and its powered by a 12v battery so I can use it to power the SULA preamp
ok, but remember, that LNA lower freq starts at 1MHz so below that frequency...