10-meter rig recommendation

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply trying to figure out how to find that elusive station on the dial? This is a place where you can ask your question and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
SamA

10-meter rig recommendation

Post by SamA »

Condo living in the District of Columbia doesn't allow for much of an antenna, but I think I can discreetly get away with a 10-meter dipole on the balcony which brings me to my question: Anyone have a recommendation for a 10-meter QRP rig that allows both SSB and CW? Say, $200-$250 or so?
Andrew (grayhat)

Re: 10-meter rig recommendation

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

SamA wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:21 pm Condo living in the District of Columbia doesn't allow for much of an antenna, but I think I can discreetly get away with a 10-meter dipole on the balcony which brings me to my question: Anyone have a recommendation for a 10-meter QRP rig that allows both SSB and CW? Say, $200-$250 or so?
can't you hang a piece of thin wire, neutral color, almost invisible, from balcony to a tree ? Asking since 90% of whatever station is the antenna (system) and those, may sometimes require a bit of "creative thinking"
Jpmcginley

Post by Jpmcginley »

Sam,
The only inexpensive 10 meter rigs I can think of in your price range and SSB/CW would be an older used HTX-100 (CW & SSB) or possibly the President Lincoln II+ 10 And 12 Meter Amateur Radio, currently being sold on eBay around $300. There may be others such as Xiegu but they are multi band, not ten meters only. With the sunspots working in our favor a small magnetic mount mobile antenna on your balcony may work fine.
JP
KnoxvilleMike

Post by KnoxvilleMike »

You might also try asking this question over on the sister site, https://qrper.net.
N2HUN

Post by N2HUN »

You might want to find an older 80 - 10m ham transceiver and just reduce the power to 5W. In that price range though it might be difficult. I would search (not necessarily buy) on EBay for the radio type you're seeking then click on "Completed" or "Sold" listings to see what the market bears.

As for QRP radios I used in the past: Ten-Tec Argonaut, Index Labs QRP Plus. Good luck, hope you find a radio that works for you.
SamA

Post by SamA »

Thanks for the replies. At this point, band capability for bands other than 10 meters would be way more than I need - due to antenna restrictions.

I have the Radio Shack HTX-10, and it does good work, with the exception of providing the CW mode.

I thought maybe with the proliferation of so many new names/models, there might be something out there to cover both CW and SSB in one unit.

BTW, thanks to the folks for getting this message board launched!
Blubby

Post by Blubby »

I had wanted a new 10m rig for use in the car and I ordered an import rig. It was horrible.
I only throw one in the car if I go up on the blue ridge parkway, But the import was so bad I returned it.
I use an Icom 7200 for that now with a Wilson 5000 magnet mount tuned for lowest SWR on 28.400. I keep it at
20 watts so I don't blow the outlets fuse in the car. I worked Chile with it from the 5900 foot level!

The RS radios are the way to go. Get a 100 for CW.

Lots of CBers use the import rigs on 11m and watching them on the SDR is comical. Almost all of them are off frequency
and some of them produce a J shaped curve as the transmitter drifts until it is stable. ARRGGGHHHH!

I also wanted what you seek so I know what you are facing. Good Luck.
Jim72Upson

Post by Jim72Upson »

Amazing results can occur with a Small Transmitting Loop….”STL”……such as a Alex Loop…..even indoors!!

Or build your own….here is one on the low cost end….

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B-tYtbTts0s

https://k1ypp.wordpress.com/2019/05/25/ ... p-antenna/

These typically are 20-watts maximum

Also, John, KL7JR has many ideas:

https://www.qrz.com/db/KL7JR

73, Jim / AC3B
Blubby

Post by Blubby »

I second the magnetic loop suggestion. I worked a guy on SSB one day on 60 meters
using a loop inside of his HOA restricted condo. He was using 50 watts and was s7 or so.
Much better than nothing and also portable so you can try it inside and on the balcony.
Jim72Upson

Post by Jim72Upson »

Or go portable….granted I was far away from city noise on SOTA summits in Pennsylvania….I was 100% SSB

see my QRZ page…..copied in part here:
https://www.qrz.com/db/AC3B

My first SOTA outing in Feb 2016 on W3/PW-006. With this Alex-Loop, Argo VI and 10 watts I talked with MN, OK, ID, IN, KS, AZ, CO, and GA....on 20-meters. Later that same day on W3/PW-031 I picked up OR, AR, IA and my first Summit-to-Summit to AL.
And here I am in early March 2016 on another SOTA activation...W3/PD-002...this time with my KX3....with an exciting first DX on 15 meters with Jan, OK2PDT in the Czech Republic, as well as picking up more states including WA, CO, TX, and later on W3/PD-002 OR, FL, and NM....among others.

Jim / AC3B