selecting a new receiver

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply trying to figure out how to find that elusive station on the dial? This is a place where you can ask your question and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
N2HUN

Re: selecting a new receiver

Post by N2HUN »

I've used a W6LVP loop in the past and was very pleased with the performance. Attached is a photo of it (from a few years ago) in the shack installed on a tripod with an RCA rotor. Eventually I moved the antenna outdoors for even better reception. It's an active antenna with a preamp. Don't know what the current price is but it's well within you range. You can also check antenna reviews on eham.net. Good luck on your move and choosing a new antenna.
Attachments
w6lvpb.JPG
w6lvpb.JPG (61.01 KiB) Viewed 8121 times
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

N2HUN wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:36 am I've used a W6LVP loop in the past and was very pleased with the performance. Attached is a photo of it (from a few years ago) in the shack installed on a tripod with an RCA rotor. Eventually I moved the antenna outdoors for even better reception. It's an active antenna with a preamp. Don't know what the current price is but it's well within you range. You can also check antenna reviews on eham.net. Good luck on your move and choosing a new antenna.
Wideband active loops work well, but... did you ever try a tuned active loop ?

http://techlib.com/electronics/antennas.html

:D
Hank Michalenka

Post by Hank Michalenka »

thanks again to all who are helping!

I just read several reviews on the AirSpy HF+ and it seems to be the answer. High performance in a small package. I have a Bonito RadioJet that my daughter gave me many years ago, but could never get the thing to work? I value all your opinions and will get back when I get set up.

Thanks again!

Hank
Blubby

Post by Blubby »

Maximum bang for the buck buy an SDR. For HF and LF use I own the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the SDRPLAY RSPDX.
Both are excellent on HF with the Airspy being better for NDB beacon band work below the broadcast band.
I use SDR Console to control both and typically use the RSPDX @ LIF showing a 2mhz wide swath. The Airspy cannot
show as big a slice, so for finding new stuff I like the RSPDX. Either is fine for SWBC listening. SDRPLAY has excellent support
as well.
I own a number of excellent SW receivers and the SDRs work very well compared to them. The filtering options, superior
syncro AM and bandscope make them a fantastic choice.
I like the BNC connector on the RSPDX too for durability as well as the big USB connection vs the micro on the Airspy.

The software wont be too hard to learn. I mastered it quickly.
K4FBI

Post by K4FBI »

Don't give up on that JRC receiver yet. If you have an attic you might be able to install a longwire with traps similar to the old Eavesdropper, made by Antenna Supermarket. Less than 43 feet in length and from the outside quite stealthy. Your roof might be ceramic tile in FL so I'm unsure how that might impact your reception but placement along the peak of an attic away from home wiring can give surprisingly good results.
VE7ET

Post by VE7ET »

How about an hybrid such as the Elad FDM-DUOr (I own the non "r" version)? I think it should be within your $1k USD budget. You can start playing with it stand alone and it's an excellent receiver. And then when you have time, you can start learning about the software side that it makes it even better. The "DUO" means that it can be a stand alone receiver and also a computer controlled SDR.

Check out Oxford SWL channel on YouTube, he has made a lot of videos about the Elad FDM-DUO (non "r" version).
MarTay6

Post by MarTay6 »

The Belka's are a fantastic little receiver, with very little learning curve! Simple to use!
Good luck on your move- I moved from Florida to Maine 9 years ago!
Just getting into SWL'ing after a loooong hiatus as a former Ham- formerly WA6VPM...
Currently searching for a loop antenna for my Belka and a couple of other SDR radios- a Malachite and a ATS-25 MAX Decoder- as well as a Tecsun PL680
MarTay6

Post by MarTay6 »

AAAaaaand, I just placed an order for a MFJ-1886 loop antenna, ending days of confusion and uncertainty.
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

MarTay6 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:48 pm AAAaaaand, I just placed an order for a MFJ-1886 loop antenna, ending days of confusion and uncertainty.
Good pick, even if I'm not a huge fan of wideband active loops, now if you want to let it work as it should, try putting it outside; a yard, a balcony or if possible the roof will be good spots, then also consider picking a small TV/Sat antenna rotator, something like this (just an example)

https://www.amazon.com/AUDIOVOX-Remote- ... B008468PWC

will do, see the point is that putting the antenna outside you'll avoid the signal reflections and the noise picked up from the "domestic RF noise cloud" surrounding most/all homes, plus the "8" shaped pattern of the antenna will develop correctly so allowing you to leverage the loop ability to null-out undesided noise/signals and better receive the desired ones, as for the coax, stay away from RG-58, if willing to spare some money go for RG-6 (the one used for TV/Sat), the small impedance mismatch (75 Ohms instead of 50) won't cause any hassle, but the RG-6 has lower loss than RG-58 and (usually) is better shielded

Another thing you may want to consider is picking a box of snap-on ferrite beads (example)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ferrite+bead ... lectronics

and placing 10 or more of them (20 would be fine) on the coax right below the antenna, those will act as chokes and stop whatever common mode noise on the coax, that will avoid that the coax could pick up whatever noise it encounters along its path to your receiver, just select the ferrites so that their internal diameter will fit the coax you use, then snap them on the coax placing then tightly one after the other, place a pair of nylon tiers before/after the first/last to keep them grouped and wrap them with duct tape

HTH