selecting a new receiver

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply trying to figure out how to find that elusive station on the dial? This is a place where you can ask your question and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
Hank Michalenka

selecting a new receiver

Post by Hank Michalenka »

A big question for all of you...

My wife and I are moving to our new home in Palmetto, Florida this fall. At the same time, it may be time to replace my NRD-535.

I cannot install a permanent antenna due to HOA rules, but I could potentially use a loop outdoors and then bring it in. I do have a portable AC power supply. And, the house is cement block, so chances of indoor antenna use are slim to none.

So, if I set a budget of $1,000 US, what do you suggest? My primary interest is shortwave broadcast listening [for almost 60 years now.] I think there are probably a dozen or so countries remaining that I have not logged in that time, and I would rather not use an internet SDR to do so.

There you have it; any thoughts would be appreciated!

Hank
K3JTP

Re: selecting a new receiver

Post by K3JTP »

If you have no interest in VHF/UHF, no need to spend for a wideband receiver. The ICOM IC-R75 served (and still does) me well (and even receives up to 60 MHz). No longer in production, but available on secondary market for under $400. Be sure the DSP unit is included and installed. Also, very compact size, but get an external speaker. I'm selling an ICOM SP-3 that worked well with the R75. Some people like the Palstar P30 for ease of use; I know nothing about them. I liked AOR receivers, very sensitive front end, but they all take too much learning curve to program. Portables by Sangean, Tecsun, etc., are OK for casual use, but not serious SWL DXing. Look at TW's recent "shoot outs" of various receivers on his blog.
My 2 cents worth.
Les, K3JTP
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

if the JRC is serving you well... why replace it ?

as for the antenna, if you'll have a bit of garden, check this one

http://www.kk5jy.net/LoG/

the HOA folks won't even SEE it :D
VK5014SWL

Post by VK5014SWL »

Hank Michalenka wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:21 pm A big question for all of you...

My wife and I are moving to our new home in Palmetto, Florida this fall. At the same time, it may be time to replace my NRD-535.

I cannot install a permanent antenna due to HOA rules, but I could potentially use a loop outdoors and then bring it in. I do have a portable AC power supply. And, the house is cement block, so chances of indoor antenna use are slim to none.

So, if I set a budget of $1,000 US, what do you suggest? My primary interest is shortwave broadcast listening [for almost 60 years now.] I think there are probably a dozen or so countries remaining that I have not logged in that time, and I would rather not use an internet SDR to do so.

There you have it; any thoughts would be appreciated!

Hank
If you're looking for a receiver, how about an SDRplay RSPdx? IMO, in terms of value for money, you can't get much better.

An SDR such as this would leave lots of monetary wiggle room to get a decent antenna.
Andrew (grayhat)

VK5014SWL wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:32 am If you're looking for a receiver, how about an SDRplay RSPdx? IMO, in terms of value for money, you can't get much better.
An SDR such as this would leave lots of monetary wiggle room to get a decent antenna.
Well, a (GOOD!) SDR unit may fit the bill, sure, but then there will be a learning curve when it comes to the SDR software settings which aren't exactly immediate if one is accustomed to a regular receiver; also, going for such an SDR unit would mean that, willing to bring your receiver outside you'll have to also bring a computer to be able to listen, while using a more or less "regular" receiver you'll just need it; what I really wonder is why Hank wants to replace his JRC receiver, if it's serving well, I see no reason to swap it for something else; and then, whatever the receiver, the most important thing is a good antenna, and given HOA restrictions, that will be something worth pondering a bit, imVHo
Yorkshire Ham

Post by Yorkshire Ham »

If your budget is $1k have a look for a used Icom IC705 or IC7300. Yes, I know they are transceivers but they can be setup to prevent transmission. You will have a very versatile and good performing receiver, the only downside for BC listening is that there is no sync detection but I find using USB or LSB mode can help.
73, David (UK)
Hank Michalenka

Post by Hank Michalenka »

Thanks to all who have responded. The NRC-535D is getting "tired," kind of like myself. Keys sticking, seeming loss of some sensitivity (though I don't have anything comparable to test) and maybe it's just time for something newer.

No garden space at the new house; all the outside is pool/patio/lawn, so the lawn antenna would have to be taken up every time the landscaping people come by. There is a long, vinyl/PVC something stockade fence that runs in a "U" shape along the back [south] side of the yard and then wraps around the sides. I was pondering putting up wire on Command Strips which would be easily removable from the fence.

And, finally, I have no interest in VHF/UHF listening. The only other item I might purchase is a scanner for airport/airplane listening, since I will be close to Tampa and Sarasota airports.

Hank
Andrew (grayhat)

Hank Michalenka wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:53 pm Thanks to all who have responded. The NRC-535D is getting "tired," kind of like myself. Keys sticking, seeming loss of some sensitivity (though I don't have anything comparable to test) and maybe it's just time for something newer.

No garden space at the new house; all the outside is pool/patio/lawn, so the lawn antenna would have to be taken up every time the landscaping people come by. There is a long, vinyl/PVC something stockade fence that runs in a "U" shape along the back [south] side of the yard and then wraps around the sides. I was pondering putting up wire on Command Strips which would be easily removable from the fence.

And, finally, I have no interest in VHF/UHF listening. The only other item I might purchase is a scanner for airport/airplane listening, since I will be close to Tampa and Sarasota airports.

Hank
Hank, thanks for the infos, check this

https://swling.com/blog/2020/05/guest-p ... g-antenna/

and in the meantime, maybe I or others will come out with more ideas... a "flagpole" maybe ? ;)
Andrew (grayhat)

oh... and as for the receiver, did you consider the "Belka DX" ?

https://www.mobimax.bg/en/BELKA-DX-shortwave-receiver

not a JRC by the way, but not all that bad, either; you may consider picking one of those and sending your JRC to Thomas' friend Vlado for cleanup/repair/alignment
DF2HF

Post by DF2HF »

I would suggest AirSpy HF+ and/or Belka DX (as suggested by Andrew as well)