Best Region for SWL Hobby

Use this forum to discuss any radio-related topic outside of asking for advice (check out our Questions and Advice forum for those topics). As with all of our forums, treat others with kindness and respect.
mckayprod

Best Region for SWL Hobby

Post by mckayprod »

So, I have to admit being a little underwhelmed at the number of SW broadcasts I can copy at my location on the California coast. Are any areas of the globe considered better than most? I would assume Europe was good during the cold war heyday of SW, and now I guess Africa is heavily targeted by the big stations. I used to think that my home in the Northwest US (north Idaho) was bad, but honestly, I'm not getting any better DX 70 miles from the Pacific. I would expect a ton of Asian signals, but my experience is, not so much. Thoughts?
13dka

Re: Best Region for SWL Hobby

Post by 13dka »

An ocean helps with reception only up to 10 wavelengths away from the coast, that would be 1,000' on 10 MHz. Your place on the globe plays a role mostly in what paths signals take and when. It would help everyone helping you if you'd describe your setup and what you expect to receive.
mckayprod

Post by mckayprod »

I guess what I'm getting at is, the US west coast is a long way from most SW signals, compared to Europe, the mideast, or north Africa. Do most avid SW listeners live elsewhere? I'd love to take a trip to a "better" SW DX location.
13dka

Post by 13dka »

I'm not aware of any privileged DX country on the globe. The very point of shortwave and its skywave propagation is that "distance" plays a different role. You can receive stations from the other side of the globe on any continent -- well it's actually a very complex matter, there can be local differences and geographical hardships, and simply local noise covering weak stations and depending on solar activity and the frequency propagation can be bad. Whether or not a place is good or bad for DX depends mostly on e.g. ground conductivity (which can be addressed by choosing the right antenna) and your position changes the time frame when DX from a certain area can be heard. It's usually the local (manmade) noise and the performance of your antenna limiting reception, plus knowing when to tune in what frequency. Any ocean beach on the globe can be considered a privileged location, due to the conductivity of salt water and the lack of obstructions and noise sources (you still need to avoid "civilization" tho, go out of town).

Edit: Forgot to mention that if you tried that in the past few months, we had a long chain of moderate radio blackouts generally deteriorating reception below 10-15MHz (and potentially enhancing reception on higher frequencies). Also, European stations are not DX for European DXers, they rather aim for stations outside Europe. :)
DXerPaulAK2024

Post by DXerPaulAK2024 »

Hi!

I'd say alaska, bar none!

I've heard LRA36, the 1kw station from Atnarctica on 15476.

Ive heard a 1kw pirate from the netherlands

ive heard a licensed 200 watter from denmark

I am at the perfect location for long path hits for stuff beamed from Botswana to other parts of Afrtica.. stuff beamed to the middle east.. stuff beamed from one part of europe to another.
Paul Walker, Program Director, Morning/Lunch Show Host, Engineer, Cleaner, Secretary, Assistant Promotions Person, snow Shoveler, Moose Shooer Awayer & Treato Giver To ALL Village Doggos
KSKO 89.5 McGrath, AK
kskopublicradio.com
13dka

Post by 13dka »

DXerPaulAK2024 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:10 pm I'd say alaska, bar none!
That could be true, due to low population density (low noise and plenty of space) and being on top of a ring of continents framing the Pacific ocean with e.g. interesting MW activity, so a lot of true DX targets with nothing in between. Your very high latitude (62°N) offers both maximum distance to the equatorial (thunderstorm) belt creating atmospheric noise and convenient over-the-pole paths to the entire northern hemisphere (which is why high performance MW DX is (or was) kind of big in Scandinavia too - less interference from the south and plenty of space to roll out Beverage antennas for the pole paths).

The downside seems to be the increased influence of space weather - I'm not that high up (54°N) and still feel punished whenever the sun coughs a little in our general direction and the aurora prediction plots get brighter, making the over-the-pole paths bad (not to mention full polar cap absorption when there's a proper flare). If that happens (and it happens a lot in the cycle maximum) I often hear south European stations praising the great conditions but I can't hear the US station they're talking to because that's too much along the polar circle for my position. At the same time I hear VK long path (antenna pointing SW here) just fine.

I'd imagine that gets even more crazy at your spot and you do not only get to hear the aurora, you can also watch it! :)
DXerPaulAK2024

Post by DXerPaulAK2024 »

13dka wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:59 am
DXerPaulAK2024 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:10 pm I'd say alaska, bar none!
That could be true, due to low population density (low noise and plenty of space) and being on top of a ring of continents framing the Pacific ocean with e.g. interesting MW activity, so a lot of true DX targets with nothing in between. Your very high latitude (62°N) offers both maximum distance to the equatorial (thunderstorm) belt creating atmospheric noise and convenient over-the-pole paths to the entire northern hemisphere (which is why high performance MW DX is (or was) kind of big in Scandinavia too - less interference from the south and plenty of space to roll out Beverage antennas for the pole paths).

The downside seems to be the increased influence of space weather - I'm not that high up (54°N) and still feel punished whenever the sun coughs a little in our general direction and the aurora prediction plots get brighter, making the over-the-pole paths bad (not to mention full polar cap absorption when there's a proper flare). If that happens (and it happens a lot in the cycle maximum) I often hear south European stations praising the great conditions but I can't hear the US station they're talking to because that's too much along the polar circle for my position. At the same time I hear VK long path (antenna pointing SW here) just fine.

I'd imagine that gets even more crazy at your spot and you do not only get to hear the aurora, you can also watch it! :)
Mty best AM log is a 10KW 2 tower directional from 8000 miles away and my location absolutely played the entire part in making it happen.

Its the low noise, the closeness, relatively, to the north pole, and i think theres some long path advantages, but magnetic advantages, etc.. its a bunch of things.

And yes, solar upset ruins HF and AM.. totally, useless..
Paul Walker, Program Director, Morning/Lunch Show Host, Engineer, Cleaner, Secretary, Assistant Promotions Person, snow Shoveler, Moose Shooer Awayer & Treato Giver To ALL Village Doggos
KSKO 89.5 McGrath, AK
kskopublicradio.com