Loop antenna question

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply trying to figure out how to find that elusive station on the dial? This is a place where you can ask your question and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
DXerPaulAK

Loop antenna question

Post by DXerPaulAK »

Daryl, the guy who made the loops i have (Doxytronics.. well, doesnt make them anymore.

I have a preamp, from DXE... i can get a tuner, the emtech Zm2, which ive had before and love.

but I need.. like the box/interface. There's wellbrook, and they have the flexible loop option:
https://www.loop-antennas.com/wellbrook ... xible-loop

But I dont need the amplifier, as i already have one.

so what the heck are my options? And please dont say build something.. i dont have that capability, ability, time or attention required
Andrew (grayhat)

Re: Loop antenna question

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

DXerPaulAK wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:48 pm Daryl, the guy who made the loops i have (Doxytronics.. well, doesnt make them anymore.

I have a preamp, from DXE... i can get a tuner, the emtech Zm2, which ive had before and love.

but I need.. like the box/interface. There's wellbrook, and they have the flexible loop option:
https://www.loop-antennas.com/wellbrook ... xible-loop

But I dont need the amplifier, as i already have one.

so what the heck are my options? And please dont say build something.. i dont have that capability, ability, time or attention required
Need some more infos

Which model of DXE preamp you own ?

What do you mean by "box/interface" ?

What do you plan to use the emtech Zm2 for ? See, that's a TX antenna tuner, and I'm not sure how well it will work as preselector

As for building, if I understood your question correctly (too few details), you want a passive loop to connect to the preamp you already own, but most if not all receiving loop antennas come with their own (optimized) preamp unit, so, given that you already have the preamp, you may either buy a "YouLoop" and add it your preamp, find a passive loop (not so easy) or build your loop (easy), in the latter case the manual "work" required won't be complex or difficult (e.g. a piece of wire inserted inside an "hula hoop" and tied to a PVC pipe used as support with some nylon tiers will do)
DXerPaulAK

Post by DXerPaulAK »

Andrew,

I can't recall the model number and the DXE amp i have i think has -ATT in the model number, it has an am broadcast band filter and attenuator built in, that can be turned on or off.

box/interface.. i assume the loop has to connect to something to get it to work.

I could connect something directly to the emtech zm2 but it only has one antenna input, not two, as i would have two ends of coax.

I've had am EmTech Zm2 antenna tuner before on shortwave loops and it was pretty darn good
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

DXerPaulAK wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:12 am I can't recall the model number and the DXE amp i have i think has -ATT in the model number, it has an am broadcast band filter and attenuator built in, that can be turned on or off.
Paul, doesn't the preamp have a sticker with the model number ?
box/interface.. i assume the loop has to connect to something to get it to work.
well, it depends from the preamp, if it's a loop preamp it should have a pair of posts to connect the two ends of the loop, if it's a "regular" preamp, it will have a coax input connector for the antenna, in such a case you'll need a BalUn to connect the loop to the preamp, also, this gave me an idea; do you have a yard/garden ? If so you may try a LoG, it's very easy to setup (or better say, to lay down), all you'll need is a NooElec 9:1 balun and about 60ft of insulated wire, and notice that the same balun (and some wire) would also allow you to put together a Porch Loop in case you don't have a yard/garden; all you'll have to do will be laying down (or around for the porch loop) the insulated wire, connect it to the BalUn (which should be hosted inside a weatherproof box), connect the balun to the preamp (which may also be inside the same box) and from there, the coax to your receiver, by the way, at the receiver end you'll need a Bias-T unit to power the preamp over the coax, but if you have the preamp you should also have the Bias-T (power injector) unit