YouLoop question on suitability for different radios

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply trying to figure out how to find that elusive station on the dial? This is a place where you can ask your question and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
jaypea500

YouLoop question on suitability for different radios

Post by jaypea500 »

I went on vacation not long ago and brought a YouLoop to use with a Sangean 909X2 and a Belka. Reception on both was pretty rotten. I've used the YouLoop with an Icom 705 and an AirSpy Discovery and it worked like gangbusters.

This begs the question, is the YouLoop designed for only certain types of receivers?

thanks...

...joe
Andrew (grayhat)

Re: YouLoop question on suitability for different radios

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

jaypea500 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:37 pm I went on vacation not long ago and brought a YouLoop to use with a Sangean 909X2 and a Belka. Reception on both was pretty rotten. I've used the YouLoop with an Icom 705 and an AirSpy Discovery and it worked like gangbusters.

This begs the question, is the YouLoop designed for only certain types of receivers?

thanks...

...joe
Hi Joe; the YL (YouLoop) was designed for HDR (high dynamic range) receivers with pretty high gain frontend and good resilience to IP3, this means that, if used with an SDR, the antenna may/will work pretty well (on some limited frequency range), while used with other receivers (or outside the lower freq range) it will perform poorly

as a note, with some receivers, the YL performance may be improved by adding an LNA and, depending from location an FM and/or AM "bandstop" filter placed between the YL and the LNA

HTH