Favorite SWL programs

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply trying to figure out how to find that elusive station on the dial? This is a place where you can ask your question and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
Jim72Upson

Favorite SWL programs

Post by Jim72Upson »

Hi…I am just getting setup to dive into SWLing…(Airspy HF+ Discovery with YouLoop) and I would really like to know what are your favorite stations or signals…and of course just a few details:

- Day of week
- UTC time
- Frequency
- Station ID
- if you want…program name

I am just looking to get started……and a little jump start would be wonderful 😀

Thanks……
Jim / AC3B
Hank Michalenka

Re: Favorite SWL programs

Post by Hank Michalenka »

If you have a smartphone (I don't want to be presumptive), go to the app store and download the free Skywave Schedules app.

This will give you a pretty current database of shortwave stations and is very user friendly.
Jim72Upson

Post by Jim72Upson »

Hank….thank you….good/bad/indifferent I am an iPhone iOS user and Skywave Schedules, per se, is not available…I guess only for Android users…

However I found other options that I imagine are similar….and I do have them all on my iPhone…

I was hoping for is if there are any favorites stations/programs folks tend to enjoy listening to….

Thanks again Hank,
Jim
mckayprod

Post by mckayprod »

I've been surprised at how much I like Radio Amazonia (Brazil). I don't understand Portuguese but there's usually some music and signal strength is often better than Radio Havana Cuba. Most recently heard Monday 0000 at 11780. Not much in English that I care for here on the west coast.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Radio Ohne Namen via Radio Channel 292, 6070 khz...various dates.
And, generally, all weekend morning programms from them: Goldrausch, Radio DARC, Radio Waves International,...
Danmarks Radio 243 khz early mornigns with aerobics (!) and sea weather report.
At night, 792 khz Radio Dechovka (CZ) with ommpah oompah :D
Last but not least, the 7 AM 1 hour of Ö1 International, 6155 khz.

But I also keep listening to BBC 6195 khk or VoA 6080 khz :)
I must say I regularly look for the European low power stations around 4 MHz and 6 Mhz
Jim72Upson

Post by Jim72Upson »

Hi Mackayprod and Frankie….many thanks for your input….

At this point, in my SWL newbie setup status, I am focused on getting my Airspy HF + Discovery antenna and computer set up….which has a few mechanical challenges….until then just scanning a bit with my ICF-7600GR when time permits just wasn’t producing much “fun” yet (my available time is very limited….)…I know next to nothing about current programs ….

I also am beginning to get set up to better know daytime vs. nighttime frequencies for SWL (although I fully understand it for amateur radio transmitting purposes)…so I assume receiving is closely aligned….

Anyway….your responses are most appreciated!

Jim /AC3B
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Sure, Jim72Upson, try at night or in the morning :) these were just my reliable favorites I look up almost every local morning this year (and which all work in my ICF-7600GR as well). I needed lots of bandscanning and SWLing-reading on my way, and SDRs are fantastic, I used to fiddle a lot with a clone Malachite and a loop antenna but right now I tend to fire up the Panasonic BF65 and be good with it as long as my first coffee mug goes...
(I remember the previous years I had almost regularly listened to NHK World every local morning and then the BBC (or was it vice versa?).)

Do local amateur radio groups also count? Some are run like a committee, speaking and exchanging signal and weather reports one after another. I must say I enjoy that too (local here and a regular are most members of the "Black Forest goup" on 3775.5 khz LSB at 8:30 AM).
DXerPaulAK2024

Post by DXerPaulAK2024 »

11780, radio nacional de amaozonias, best between 00 and their 02 sign off .. they come back on at 0800utc. good music, lively hosts, etc
Paul Walker, Program Director, Morning/Lunch Show Host, Engineer, Cleaner, Secretary, Assistant Promotions Person, snow Shoveler, Moose Shooer Awayer & Treato Giver To ALL Village Doggos
KSKO 89.5 McGrath, AK
kskopublicradio.com