Malachit SDR (CHN clone) + Sony AN-LP1 ampl. loop

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply trying to figure out how to find that elusive station on the dial? This is a place where you can ask your question and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
Frankie

Malachit SDR (CHN clone) + Sony AN-LP1 ampl. loop

Post by Frankie »

Hello, I am mostly using the Sony AN-LP1 antenna for it - great results on 80 meters, but for 49 meters I find a simple random wire works quite equally well or better. Haven´t yet gotten around to order and test a more modern loop one. I have been studying many YT videos about this subject but so far I haven´t found any video showing how well the AN-LP1 fits to it. I have sent reception reports to Radio Delta 6020 khz (broadcasting legally on weekends) using and documenting right this setup.
I wonder, is the AN-LP1 so uncommon these days in suburbia?
I´d like to ask, is it worth purchasing a mode modern (amplified) loop antenna when you already have a beloved and wonderfully working Sony AN-LP1 one? Main reason for my question, its diameter is just ca. 30 centimeters but it´s foldable and useful for trips (to another suburbia).
Andrew (grayhat)

Re: Malachit SDR (CHN clone) + Sony AN-LP1 ampl. loop

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

here's an idea for you, you will need the following:

some wooden/plastic supports (more later)
a spool of insulated wire (zip cord will do too)
a 9:1 balun like this one https://www.nooelec.com/store/balun-one ... bones.html
a low noise HF preamp like this one https://www.nooelec.com/store/lana-hf-barebones.html
a run of "RG6" (sat/tv) coax with connectors

the above material will then be used to build a loop like this one

http://www.kk5jy.net/rx-loop/

but instead of using thick copper wire, you will use the wood/plastic (see above) to form a cross-shaped support for the insulated wire, at the bottom of the diamond shaped loop you'll connect the balun, the preamp (which will need a bias-tee or a battery to work) and then the coax to your receiver; with a bit of inventive, you may design the support structure so that it will be easy to disassemble/reassemble so that you'll be able to use your loop at whatever location; adding some casing for the balun and preamp will also allow you to use the loop antenna outside

HTH
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Thank you, Andrew, I´m afraid I´m a little "mechanically challenged" but I´m going to try. Some months ago I tried (following the good guide posted at swling) to make an own Youloop but I found a random wire half in- and half outdoors worked even better.
I´m going to use its parts to see what I can do :)
Andrew (grayhat)

Frankie wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:39 am Thank you, Andrew, I´m afraid I´m a little "mechanically challenged" but I´m going to try. Some months ago I tried (following the good guide posted at swling) to make an own Youloop but I found a random wire half in- and half outdoors worked even better.
I´m going to use its parts to see what I can do :)
Well, there's "little" of mechanics, just pick two pieces of wood, a longer and a shorter one, and use nails or screws to make a cross, then pass the wire around the cross and you'll have the loop, the remainder is just a matter of connecting the bits together
13dka

Post by 13dka »

Like that? :)

YL_Test_Setup_LANA_HF.jpg
YL_Test_Setup_LANA_HF.jpg (35.73 KiB) Viewed 2458 times

(That's a YouLoop with a LANA-HF, temporarily mounted on a boom outside for a test. That's all plastic cable duct profiles off the local DIY store, very easy to cut and held together with small screws and zip ties)
Andrew (grayhat)

13dka wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:31 pm Like that? :)

LOL !!!

Well, yes, that may work, but I was thinking at a vertical support with an horizontal bar nailed/screwed and the wire running around in a diamond loop shape
(That's a YouLoop with a LANA-HF, temporarily mounted on a boom outside for a test. That's all plastic cable duct profiles off the local DIY store, very easy to cut and held together with small screws and zip ties)
I'm curious to know how the loop+preamp combo is working for you !